Blue Senate Gown- Making the Skirt

Hello! Well I seem to be pretty steady about this Thursday thing! At least I’m keeping up with that. I’ve been working on some charcoal pieces and I can’t wait to share that here. Anyways, back to the show. Yesterday I managed to make the Blue Senate Gown Overskirt and wanted to share in the progress. I didn’t really get nice and tight photos of the eyelets I sewed in the corset, but I did take some progress shots.

I took some photos of the completed under garments so you can see what they look like. As you can see, I went for long lasting and cheap. Because no one will be looking at these, I knew that I didn’t want to spend a ton of money on them anyways.

Alrighty here we go!

Blue Senate Gown full under garments front

This is what the front and back look like, so you can see the silhouette. It turned out quite well!

Blue Senate Gown Back view of sillouhette

I didn’t get a good photo of the eyelets after they were sewn but here you can take a closer look at how the corset laces up as well.

Blue Senate Gown eyelets in the back

Blue Senate Gown Corset up close

Not bad at all if you ask me!

Anyways, this week I made the skirt to sit on top of the hoop skirt. No one will see this either, however, I made it out of the apron fabric anyways just in case. Unfortunately, this will be the last of the ‘easy’ garments for this costume. Also, unfortunately, I didn’t quite get a good photo of the making of this either so I’ll do my best to explain.

Basically I just cut out a bunch of rectangles like this, I think I ended up using only 2 though and they were about 45″ by 40″ long.

Blue Senate Gown overskirt cut rectangle

Then I sewed the edges together so that they made a big circle and draped it over the mannequin.

I hand stitched the back gathers because I know that I needed the front to be as clean and flat as possible for the apron piece to sit nicely.

Blue Senate Gown sewing gathers at top of under skirt

Once I stitched it by hand I took it off and reinforced the stitching by machine. I marked where I wanted to hem to be, and I started to drape so that it was level on all sides.

This turned out to be the finished product, I’m still not 100% pleased but for a garment that no one will see, it’ll do the job nicely 🙂

Blue Senate Gown Over Skirt back

Blue Senate Gown Over skirt front

Blue Senate Gown Over skirt full body front

Anyways, next week I want to get a head start on the apron piece because I know that will be a lot of work in the long run with all the beading to do on it. I’m expecting it to either get done all in one day or having it take weeks!

As for the gold embroidery, I decided to do fake appliques, so we will see how that goes.

Anyways, like always, thank you so much for tuning in guys! Like always, peace.

-Meescha

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *